Melissa’s Spring Menu
Hello, Melissa here.
I’ve got 4 new Spring recipes for you! Every day is worth celebrating the special people in your life and nothing says love more than home cooked food. Make one of these or all of these for someone you love or your Mum this Sunday or sometime soon! They’re all simple, seasonal, springy and delicious so give them a go. *Click on the LINKS to get the recipes*
(or a menu for everyone you love)
For breakfast: Lemon and blueberry pancakes – have them in bed!
For lunch: Sprouting Broccoli Mimosa – enjoy with grilled fish or a roast chicken or some roast squash.
For Afternoon Tea: Chocolate Fruit & Nut Florentines with a fresh mint and lemon verbena tea
For Breakfast: Zesty, No-nonsense Pancakes!
Grab your ripe bananas, whizz them up and top with whipped yoghurt, melted blueberries (from the freezer) & lemon zest.
- Feeds 2:
- 2 ripe bananas (total 200g), peeled
- 100g quinoa flakes
- 180ml any milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- tiny pinch salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp coconut oil (for frying)
- zest of 1/2 lemon (adding 1/2 to the pancake & 1/2 for sprinkling on top)
- For the blueberries:
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 handfuls frozen blueberries
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Place all the ingredients for the pancakes (except the oil) in a blender or food processor & whizz for about 30 seconds. Alternatively, mash the bananas with a fork & mix in a jug with all the remaining ingredients.
- Melt a little of the coconut oil in a large frying pan on a high heat.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the batter into the pan & use the back of the spoon to swirl into a rough circle about 1cm thick and 8cm wide. Repeat to make another two to three pancakes, depending on the size of your pan. Reduce the heat to medium & leave the pancakes to set for 1½ minutes. When they start to bubble, flip them over & cook for 1 minute on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the rest of the batter, using a little more of the coconut oil each time, until you have made eight pancakes. (Place the pancakes on a plate in a low oven to keep warm while you make the rest).
- Once your pancakes are made & keeping warm, whip up some coconut yoghurt or full fat natural yoghurt & gently heat up the blueberries, with a little maple syrup, in your pancake pan until they are hot through & softening.
- Serve your pancakes topped with yoghurt swirled with the berries & zest
For Lunch: Broccoli Mimosa Salad
This Purple Sprouting Broccoli Mimosa is a favourite of mine when I’ve got friends coming over & I need something quick & easy to throw together, and is perfect for a Mother’s Day feast. If like me, you’ve always got eggs that need using up, this is a great recipe for just that. Purple Sprouting Broccoli is in season early in the year so I goes perfectly in this during Spring, but use any green veg you’ve got that needs some love. Perfect for a brunch, lunch or dinner and saved for a lunchbox the next day! Serve with grilled fish or lovely roast chicken.
Get the recipe.
For Afternoon Tea: Fruit & Nut Chocolate Florentines and fresh mint lemon verbena tea
These fruit & nut florentines take just 5 minutes of prep & are the best way to use up odds & ends of any chocolate bars, nuts & dried fruits you’ve got in the cupboards. Think of them as a Spring Clean Recipe! By making these, you’re actually ticking off a kitchen chore!