Quinoa Taco Casserole
Quinoa Taco Casserole recipe for an easy and veggie-packed twist on a Mexican favourite. Dinner just got so much easier!
I grew up on casseroles but I have to be honest… I haven’t made many in the past few years! I don’t know if it was the mild California weather that never had me craving comfort food or what but I am back in business and allllll about the casserole… or should we say hot dish?!
Casseroles are super convenient, you can pack them full of protein, vegetables and healthy carbs and they’re a great way to use up everything in your kitchen. You can basically combine everything but the kitchen sink into a casserole and it will taste good. Not that I recommend that but you get the gist.
This quinoa and kale taco casserole is packed with nutritious ingredients and bold flavors. It’s so simple to make with barely any pre-prep and loaded with veggies. This is the perfect recipe to make in advance for a busy week ahead or to bring to a new mama or a family in need!
Here’s What You Need
- Quinoa – I use white quinoa. You can use tricolor but it tends to require a longer cooking time.
- Ground beef – You could also replace with ground chicken or turkey
- Vegetables – red bell pepper, green onions, corn and kale.
- Diced tomatoes
- Canned black beans
- Chicken or beef stock
- Grated cheese – I prefer cheddar or pepperjack
- Olive oil
- Seasonings and spices – chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, chili flakes, sea salt and pepper.
How to Make Quinoa Taco Casserole
STEP 1: Brown ground beef in a large pan over medium heat with olive oil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
STEP 2: In a 9×13 casserole dish, add the dry quinoa and chicken stock. Stir to combine. This is the base layer of this layered casserole.
STEP 3: In a large bowl, combine the diced tomatoes and spices.
STEP 4: Top the quinoa mixture with half of the tomato mixture, the ground beef, bell pepper, green onions, corn, black beans and kale.
STEP 5: Top with the remaining half of diced tomatoes. Sprinkle cheese and chili flakes on top, if using.
STEP 6: Cover the casserole dish with a top or tin foil and bake at 350ºF for 45 minutes. Remove the cover after 45 minutes and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
How to Prep in Advance and Store
This recipe has a quick prep time but if you want to cut corners here’s what I would do:
- Brown the ground beef
- Chop the vegetables
- Set ingredients aside until you’re ready to assemble and bake.
The beauty of casseroles is that they hold up really well after cooking and cooling. If you want to meal prep this or make in advance for a family in need, I recommend making the entire casserole and then letting it cool. Once cooled to room temperature, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I haven’t tried freezing it but I assume it would freeze well! I recommend portioning the casserole out into airtight containers and storing in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Quinoa Taco Casserole
Quinoa and Kale Taco Casserole recipe for an easy and veggie-packed twist on a Mexican favorite. Dinner just got so much easier and all in one pan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup dry white quinoa, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili power
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions (white and light greens only), chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked corn (I use frozen)
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups kale, stemmed + chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese (I like cheddar or pepperjack)
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with olive oil and add ground beef. Cook until lightly browned. No need to cook all the way through as it will continue cooking in the oven.
- In a large casserole dish (9 x 13) add quinoa and chicken or beef stock. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl combine combine diced tomatoes and spices.
- Top quinoa-stock mixture with HALF of diced tomato mixture.
- Top with ground beef, bell pepper, green onions, corn, black beans and kale.
- Top with remaining half of diced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes if using.
- Cover casserole dish with top or with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove top or foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with avocado if desired.
*I use white quinoa. You can use tricolor but you will likely need to cook it for longer.
Keywords: quinoa casserole, quinoa bake, mexican casserole, taco casserole
Like this recipe? Here are other casseroles you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.