Simple Swaps for Your Zero Waste Journey
Make simple swaps
When it comes to your Zero Waste journey, picking one change to make at a time is easier than overhauling your entire life at once! Here are a few ideas to inspire you.
- Use a biodegradable bamboo toothbrush and compostable silk or corn floss.
- Refuse cotton swabs made from plastic.
- Consider a bidet attachment, and switch to eco-friendly toilet paper.
- Use cloth reusable cosmetic rounds to remove makeup.
- Use cloth pads, a menstrual cup, or period panties instead of disposable menstrual products.
- For skin care, hair care, and cosmetics, look for glass, metal, or paper tubes; refills; or solid options.
- Use a metal safety razor with recyclable blades.
- Use handkerchiefs instead of tissues.
- Use solid, refill, DIY, or non-plastic-packaged cleaning products and soap.
- Plan meals so you only buy what you need, and compost food scraps.
- Choose unpackaged foods from the bulk section, produce section, bakery, and butcher—and bring your own (BYO) containers.
- Eat at home more often, and cook from scratch when possible (batch cooking on the weekends helps!).
- Use reusable food wraps (such as beeswax wraps) instead of plastic wrap.
- Use cloth bags and reusable pouches for snacks and sandwich bags.
- Choose glass, paper, and (non-bisphenol A) cans instead of plastic food packaging.
- Use cloth napkins.
- Use cloths instead of paper towels.
- Grow your own food.
On the go:
- BYO glass, metal, bamboo, or silicone straw.
- BYO water bottle.
- Use a travel mug (or “for here” mug).
- BYO containers to restaurants for leftovers or when picking up takeout.
- BYO cloth napkin.
- BYO cutlery.
- BYO chopsticks.
- Refuse receipts.
- Refuse unwanted/unneeded free promotional items.
- Reduce your intake of meat and dairy.
- Buy second-hand products.
- Use old products fully.
- Hang laundry to dry.
- Choose clothing made from natural fibres (such as organic cotton, hemp, and linen).
- Cancel unnecessary mail.
- Donate unwanted/unneeded items.
- Give experience or waste-free gifts.
- Repair rather than replace.
For a printable version of the chart above click here.